Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New York

If an institution has a “Physical Presence” in New York, then it must apply to the New York State Education Department for permission to operate in New York State. The Physical Presence policy can be found at the following link: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/ocue/ded/policies.html

In short, you DO NOT need to apply for approval from the NYS Education Department if your institution merely:

● Communicates electronically with students in New York State (e.g., by computer or broadcast) in ways that do NOT involve an instructional site or an organized group activity;
● Advertises in New York State media;
● Recruits students, e.g., at college fairs, job fairs, or trade shows.

You DO need to apply for approval if your institution does any of the following:

● Operates an instructional site (a physical location at which instruction is given by a faculty member to a group of students) in New York State.
● Sponsors organized activities within New York State that are related to the academic program (e.g., advising, mentoring, study groups, examination administration for groups of students).
● Has a representative, whether paid or not, acting on its behalf within New York State to arrange or conduct instructional or academic support activities.

In addition, please note the following:

● For information regarding clinical internships in areas that lead to professional licensure in New York State, please contact the Office of Professional Education and Program Review

● For information regarding out-of-state college teacher preparation programs and student teaching placements in New York State, please see: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/distance.html

1 comment:

  1. Can anyone tell me if adjunct faculty located in the state of New York teaching an online course (periodically to an online student located in New york, but usually NOT to New York residents) counts as "physical presence?"